If this post is helpful for you, please help LTPF out by subscribing to Levelling The Playing Field & receive new posts directly to your mailbox!Subscribe to & support LTPF!
One of the nicer traditions of Twitter is #FF, or Follow Friday. I’m terrible at slimming lists down to a 140 characters, so instead I made a list of all my favorite sources for the different aspects of videogames. The rules were simple – people only (so no Vlambeer), people that retweet and aggregate news preferred, people that spam a lot excluded.
Obviously, this list is not final – it’ll evolve and change over time. It’s also most likely not a complete list. I did compile the whole thing into an actual Twitter list that you can follow, just for convenience.
- @jwaaaap – Jan Willem Nijman is my fellow Vlambeer. Good music, too.
- @PTibz – Phil Tibitoski is one of the minds behind Octodad & great insight / perspectives on modern indie development.
- @ADAMATOMIC – Adam Saltsman, Canabalt, Hundreds, news, industry insights and musings on the state of the medium.
- @KellyWallick – Kelly Wallick is the Indie MEGABOOTH Overlord.
- @ZoeQuinnzel – Zoë Quinn of Depression Quest has great insights into the gaming scene, also pyrotechnic.
- @zoewi – Zuraida Buter, organizer of many events and initiatives. Also Global Game Jam.
- @brandonnn – Brandon Boyer, creator of Venus Patrol, IGF chairman and Fantastic Arcade organizer. Wonderful curated culture in all sorts, often related to games.
- @terrycavanagh – Terry Cavanagh of VVVVVV and Hexagon, creator of freeindiegam.es, interesting insights and developer perspectives.
- @AdriaandeJongh – Adriaan de Jongh, creator of Fingle. Interesting perspectives on social interaction, good postmortem writer.
- @VideoDreaming – Robin Arnott – creator of Deep Sea. Interesting ramblings about random things.
- @HelloCakebread – Davey Wreden, The Stanley Parable. Toughts, ramblings, satire and game development.
- @smestorp – Michael Brough, Corrypt, Zaga-33 & GlitchTank, one of the best game designers around.
- @bfod – Bennet Foddy, QWOP, CLOP, Super Pole Riders, interesting academic perspective.
- @doougle – Douglas Wilson, Johann Sebastion Joust, interesting perspective on games, academic, good taste of music.
- @helvetica – Zach Gage, Spelltower, Ridiculous Fishing, news, smart insights and intersting conceptual questions and musings
- @aeiowu – Greg Wohlwend, Hundreds, Ridiculous Fishing, smart analysis of many situations, great artist.
- @notch – Markus Persson – Minecraft – Industry perspectives and development.
- @MikeBithell – Mike Bithell, Thomas Was Alone, interesting opinions and insights.
- @shahidkamal – Shahid Kamal Ahmed – SCEE, interesting perspectives and thoughts about indie game development.
- @Jonathan_Blow – Jonathan Blow, Braid, The Witness – industry perspectives and development.
- @PHIL_FISH – Phil Fish, Fez – Diplomatic tweeting, industry perspectives.
- @TimOfLegend – Tim Schafer – Industry perspectives.
- @infinite_ammo – Alec Holowka – industry perspectives, news.
- @checker – Chris Hecker, Spy Party, industry perspectives and development.
- @zimmermaneric – Eric Zimmerman – Game design.
- @flantz – Frank Lantz – Game design.
- @nealen – Andy Nealen – Graphics, industry perspectives.
- @grapefrukt – Martin Jonasson – Game development.
- @kylepulver – Kyle Pulver – Offspring Fling, Snapshot – Game design and development.
- @MaxTemkin – Max Temkin, Cards Against Humanity –
- @pietepiet – Paul Veer, pixel art and animation.
- @ibogost – Ian Bogost – Academic perspectives, game design.
- @ludist – Tommy Rousse – Academic perspectives.
- @andreaszecher – Andreas Zecher – promoterapp, Spirits – industry perspectives, tools and opinion.
- @avantgame – Jane McGonigal – industry perspectives, applied games.
- @JoostDevBlog – Joost van Dongen, industry perspectives and development, great blog.
- @Demruth – Alexander Bruce, Antichamber – industry perspectives.
- @krispiotrowski – Kris Piotrowski, Below, Sword & Sworcery, industry perspectives, art.
- @MsMinotaur – Adriel Wallick – Perspectives and satellites.
- @Capy_Nathan – Nathan Vella, Sword & Sworcery, industry perspectives, business.
- @c_hedborg – Christoffer Hedborg – industry perspectives, good music.
- @auntiepixelante – Anna Anthropy – industry perspectives and game culture.
- @S0phieH– Sophie Houlden – industry perspectives and jam culture.
- @retroremakes – Rob Fearon – industry perspectives and jam culture.
- @dom2d – Dominique Ferland – industry perspectives, art and interesting games.
- @jukiokallio – Jukio Kallio, KOZILEK – Game music.
- @C418 – Daniel Rosenfeld – Game music.
- @awintory – Austin Wintory – Game music.
- @sosowski – “Sos Sosowski” – Game jam culture.
- @McFunkypants – Christer Kaitila – Game jam culture.
- @kertgartner – Kert Gartner – Game trailers and beautiful visual stuff.
- @Chrisoshea – Chris O’Shea, interaction designer, design thoughts and musings.
- @coffee_nat – Natalie Hanke, designer of VOID and beautiful typography.
- @mathewkumar – Mathew Kumar, often intriguing perspectives, games as counterculture.
- @CorySchmitz – Cory Schmitz, design and art.
- @ScottBeale – Scott Beale, design, weird things.
- @TronKnotts – Jonathan Holmes – ‘Sup Holmes.
- @BenKuchera – Ben Kuchera – Penny Arcade Report
- @RussPitts – Russ Pitts – Polygon
- @JohnPolson – John Polson – IndieGames.com
- @RussFrushtick – Russ Frushtick – Polygon
- @ctplante – Chris Plante – Polygon
- @BRKeogh – Brendan Keogh – EDGE
- @JessConditt – Jess Conditt – Joystiq
- @CPriestman – Chris Priestman – Indiestatik
- @casskhaw – Cassandra Khaw – US Gamer
- @LeighAlexander – Leigh Alexander – various
- @jasonkill – Jason Killingsworth – various
- @kirkhamilton – Kirk Hamilton – Kotaku
- @bonzrat – Alec Meer – Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- @hodapp – Eli Hodapp – TouchArcade
Was this helpful?
Consider subscribing to Levelling The Playing Field! Every article will always be free-to-read, but subscribing helps me gauge interest in the effort & ensure that I'm using my limited time to help the most developers possible. After subscribing, you'll get every new post of game development advice delivered to your inbox as soon as it goes live. If you can afford it & want to support LTPF, please consider supporting the newsletter with a fully-optional Paid membership to help make useful industry knowledge available for free.Subscribe to & support LTPF!
Want more Levelling The Playing Field?
Join 5,300+ games industry subscribers and never miss another game-dev advice post. Learn the answers to commonly asked questions about most aspects of game development, and the things you didn't know you didn't know about the art, craft, and science of game development.