My name is Rami Ismail. I make games, and travel around the world to help others make games too. I work as a consultant, public speaker, advisory board member, tool developer, and industry ambassador. I am one half of Dutch independent studio Vlambeer, and I am the creator of presskit().
What you should know:
- Co-Founder of Vlambeer, creators of Apple Design Award winner Ridiculous Fishing, Independent Games Festival nominee Super Crate Box, and commercial & critical successes such as LUFTRAUSERS and Nuclear Throne.
- Former or current board member, member, or official advisor for IndieFund, Global Game Jam, Train Jam, Indie MEGABOOTH, DevCom, AbleGamers, and various others.
- Organizer of gamedev.world, Playground at Penny Arcade Expo, and F*ck This Jam.
- Consultant or mentor for Penny Arcade Expo, Robot Cache, Execution Labs, Level Up!, Dutch Game Garden, New Media Manitoba, and various others.
- Creator of various free tools to assist independent game developers with their work, of which the most notable is the free tool presskit().
- Independently consulted for industry platforms, publishers, and initiatives on indie-specific offerings and initiatives.
- Event host of North Netherlands Orchestra Plays Games, Indievelopment, gamedev.world.
- Keynoted or presented at industry events, universities, museums, art collectives, hackathons, incubators/accelerators, and local & national governments.
- Occassionally writes for Rolling Stone’s Glixel, Polygon, Kotaku, Gamasutra, Gamesindustry.biz, and other games-industry focused publications.
- Recipient of the Game Developers Conference 2017 Ambassador Award, the IndieCade 2017 Game Changer Award, and a Forbes 30 Under 30 in Games award.
My expertises are independent development, community development, creative industries and economies, and emergent territories. I am capable of communicating about the medium and the industry in environments both highly experienced in games as well as in complete layman’s terms.
Want more Levelling The Playing Field?
Join 5,300+ games industry subscribers and never miss another game-dev advice post. Learn the answers to commonly asked questions about most aspects of game development, and the things you didn't know you didn't know about the art, craft, and science of game development.